Thursday, November 04, 2004

Don't give up on America

I was having an e-mail exchange with a friend of mine - I understand how scary it is now that Bush has won by a relatively convincing margin. She was very scared about America turning into an evangelical religious militant nation, and I can't say I blame her. I don't think it is time to despair yet - this, really sums up how I feel:

Right now it's too early to be scared. Yes, the evangelicals turned out in force. But nothing has changed, at least not yet. Karen and I were talking yesterday, and we still are able to live freely, benefit from the tax cuts we don't need, settle in and focus on family, and enjoy the protections that the Constitution gives us. BUT -- we do we need to keep a close eye on what's happening in Washington, and be aware if things really do start to change. I for one am very grateful to live in California.

I firmly believe in the resiliency of America, and that everything goes in cycles. We need to have faith and hope that in the end, the power of freedom and love will trump the manipulative forces of fear and hatred. We must continue to be vigilant and speak up. I am proud to be a liberal and your friend.



No comments: