Saturday, March 19, 2005

Terri Schiavo

I don't quite know what to think about the Terri Schiavo case. Normally, because of my father, who was in a very ill state for many years, who couldn't talk, was fed through a tube, etc. I would support keeping her feeding tube in. I think I still do.

However, the fact that Congress is interfering in such a grandstanding manner (e.g. issuing a subpoena for Terri Schiavo) makes me positively ill. This is a difficult, horrible ordeal that the entire family is going through, and it seems to me that this is just another ploy to divert attention from the huge deficits proposed in the latest budget and problems with Iraq and the selling of Social Security.

What makes this so hard is that I don't think anyone should be starved to death, which is what would have had to happen to my Dad, and I thought he wanted to live and was responsive to many people. This whole thing just makes me sick.

No comments: