Sunday, November 19, 2006

Putting your money where your mouth is

AP reports today that Chuck Rangel is seeking to reinstate the draft. I'm 36, and the proposed legislation from Rangel last year would have covered men and women 18-42. Both my wife and I have expressed support for a draft, on the basis that service to our country represents an investment by our citizens - us - one that creates a vested interest in the policies of our country. You can bet that if the Iraq war, with tens of thousands of U.S. wounded and over 2,800 dead, hit the general public, we would think twice about committing the use of our military (one would think).

What would I do if I had to go to Iraq? I feel like I'm too old to fight, and I've got a wife and son, but how many of our brave soldiers also have families? I don't know, but I won't prejudice myself by putting it in writing today.

No comments: