Saturday, September 27, 2008

Debate

Debate thoughts - my overall impressions are similar to those being circulated by various commentators on the web; e.g., McCain clearly was not able to look Obama in the eye, neither candidate scored any knockout blows, made any real mistakes, and each got a few zingers in. I don't get the sense that this debate would change too many people's minds. I also found it a little boring.

I will say, however, that it seemed to me the debate starkly highlighted each man's personality. I'm not certain how objective my views of their behavior are; after all, I want to see Obama in the best light and McCain in not such a good light. However, McCain did come across to me as angry and condescending, and it did seem like McCain couldn't believe he had to deal with Obama. (As an aside, Via TPM, the Washington Post has an interesting story that discusses McCain's role in that White House meeting over the bailout package, and why McCain may have been so hostile during the debate).

Suffice it to say I'm looking forward to the debate between Biden and Palin. And especially Palin. See clips as to why.

No comments: